“The Call” by Os Guinness
“The Call” is about discerning God’s call, His will for your life. A few notes I wanted to keep on hand:
- “Do what you are” rather than “you are what you do”. In other words, don’t just pick a job or a career and then define yourself by it. Rather discover who you are, what you were designed to do, and do that.
- Approach giftedness with a sense of stewardship rather than selfishness. The question is not “can’t I just do what I enjoy?” but rather “what do I have to give?”
- Live for an audience of One.
- We tend to respond to God’s call by shrinking back in awe of God and in the awareness of our own inadequacies. But there is more to God’s call: He begins by “singling us out” (we are called by name) and then by “standing us up” (“stand up on your feet and I will speak to you”) and then by “sending us out”.
- Imitate Him. When He calls us, He enables us.
- Be exceptional in ordinary matters, be Christlike on ordinary streets, among ordinary people.
- Receive your calling with gratitude for His grace.